Some UI suggestions

A couple of thoughts on minor UI re-arrangement:

I find myself frequently clicking on the "Build Queue" link to have a quick peek at the queue, but then have to move the mouse all the way to the close link to close the window again. Making the link toggle the window open and closed would make this smoother.

The build overview page takes an awful lot of screen real-estate for each build. It'd be nice to try to get each build down to a single row in the display. In order to make this possible, I would drop the "run" button from this display. I would expect manual runs to be a relatively infrequent occurrence, and would rather explicitly go to the build's page to start it anyhow to reduce accidentally selecting the wrong one.

4 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Johannes Graham wrote:

I find myself frequently clicking on the "Build Queue" link to have a quick peek at the queue, but then have to move the mouse all the way to the close link to close the window again. Making the link toggle the window open and closed would make this smoother.


Thanks! I added this to our to-do list:
http://jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-570

The build overview page takes an awful lot of screen real-estate for each build. It'd be nice to try to get each build down to a single row in the display. In order to make this possible, I would drop the "run" button from this display. I would expect manual runs to be a relatively infrequent occurrence, and would rather explicitly go to the build's page to start it anyhow to reduce accidentally selecting the wrong one.


In our current design each build occupies precisely one single row. :)
The case is you can run several builds of the same build configuration
(on different agents) and all of them should be presented on the
Projects Overview page.


--

sasha maximova
interaction designer

JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Johannes Graham wrote:

The build overview page takes an awful lot of

screen real-estate for each build. It'd be nice to
try to get each build down to a single row in the
display. In order to make this possible, I would drop
the "run" button from this display. I would expect
manual runs to be a relatively infrequent occurrence,
and would rather explicitly go to the build's page to
start it anyhow to reduce accidentally selecting the
wrong one.

In our current design each build occupies precisely
one single row. :)
The case is you can run several builds of the same
build configuration
(on different agents) and all of them should be
presented on the
Projects Overview page.


Couple things. I think that the page isn't too bad, but it would be nice to be able to easily collapse and expand the projects to use less space and to bubble up the important information for each project, such as # successful/# failed/# building. I have created issues for this:

http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-531
http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-532

And I like having the Run button on this page. In fact, I'd like to see more control from the projects page, not less. I use the Run button fairly often and I think it would be quite useful in certain circumstances (though I admit that my current usage may be somewhat due to the fact that I'm still evaluating things and am much more proactive in its use).

Some use cases:

- A build which does not have any trigger but it run as needed under certain circumstances that cannot be coded as a trigger. Say for a production build.
- You have a nightly/weekly build that fails. You, the responsible engineer, make the fixes you believe will fix the build. But you do not want to wait the day/week it would take to have the build rerun automatically, so you start it manually to confirm that your changes worked.
- Some of the CI tools do not use triggered builds at all, but have them work with manual triggers. Coming from that CI paradigm, you'd want easy access to the Run button.

--Tim

0
Comment actions Permalink

Tim McNerney wrote:


Couple things. I think that the page isn't too bad, but it would be nice to be able to easily collapse and expand the projects to use less space and to bubble up the important information for each project, such as # successful/# failed/# building. I have created issues for this:

http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-531
http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-532


Tim, we are planning both features for the 1.0 release, but I am afraid
we won't do the "collapsible projects" feature in the nearest EAP
builds. Just a bit later. But we are going to have "Collapse All |
Expand All" controls first which will collapse|expand all build
configurations in all projects pretty soon.

And I like having the Run button on this page.


We are not going to remove the "Run" and "Stop" buttons. This might be a
discussible issue, but so far it seems like manual runs are used quite
often (as well as stopping builds).

--
sasha maximova
interaction designer

JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Tim McNerney wrote:

Tim, we are planning both features for the 1.0
release, but I am afraid
we won't do the "collapsible projects" feature in the
nearest EAP
builds. Just a bit later. But we are going to have
"Collapse All |
Expand All" controls first which will collapse|expand
all build
configurations in all projects pretty soon.


No worries. These are pretty minor issues.

--Tim

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.