Currently we just have one default build agent.
This was OK for some months, but now we have to install additional ones.
My question is: What is the recommended way to install additional build agents?
Here are some of the variants I can think of:
- Install more build agents based on one operating system. How do I separate the build agents? By different users? Can I use one common Maven repo?
- Make virtual machines (e.g. with VMware) and install just one build agent per virtual machine. This approach seems most promising to me.
- other suggestions?
The virtualization approach has the following advantages:
- Installing a new build agent is just a matter of copying another virtual machine image.
- If one virtual machine fails, recovery is easy. I've encountered some problems with the default agent which runs on the same machine as the build server.
Open questions in this scenario:
- Are there any performance issues that I should consider?
- How should I configure one build agent virtual machine in terms of CPUs, RAM, disk space?