Agent not detecting availability of .NET 4.0 build runner

I'm using the latest TeamCity (6.5.1) and having issues with build agents realizing that the .NET build runner is available.  I was able to get it to work on one machine after unistalling and reinstalling agent.  But I can't get it to work on another machine.  I have the .NET 2.0 framework installed, and the .NET 4.0 framework installed (full, not just client profile) running WIndows Server 2008 R2 Standard.  I'm only interested in teh .NET 4.0 build runner.  But the agent only recognizes it can do the "Simple Build Runner", not .NET.

So, what are the requirements for the .NET Build Runner to be available?  Do I need to install the 3/3.5 frameworks even though I don't need them. (they're installed on the machine that works)  And how can I debug this issue?  I've looked through the build agent logs and haven't noticed anything of interest.  Anything in particular I should be looking for?

9 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Have you tried rebooting the server or restarting the TEam City Build agent Windows Service?

GE

0
Comment actions Permalink

Neither made any difference.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thought I should post that it is now working, although I don't know why.  I uninstalled the build agent and physically deleted the build agent install folder.  When I subsequently installed the agent, it worked as expected.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Joe

Probably it was an issue with agent installation, not with .NET framework detection.
TeamCity agent should unpack its runner automatically, but for some reason .NET plugin was not extracted properly.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have the same issue after updating to 6.5.1 all my builds that used to work fine now fail to find DotNetFramework4.0_x86.

I also had to delete my buildagent dir, then reinstall. Just uninstalling did not do the trick. I had to uninstall, then delete all dir that uninstall did not remove but work dir and reinstall and it finally worked again.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Michael, Joe

Even if you resolved the issue, we are interested to better understand its root cause.
Have you preserved agent logs of the first upgrade attempt? If so, please post teamcity-agent.log and upgrade.log

Thanks

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry but I did not retain any logs.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I lost all the logs as I had to delete the buildagent folder to fix this issue. But basically I have the pervious version of TeamCity installed (pervious version to 6.5), had builds using sln for .net 2010 all working fine.
Updated to 6.5.1 and then it could not longer find dotnetframework4.0. the buildagent was on the same machine as the coordinator on Windows 7 ultimate  server pack 1 64 bit. It was all installed under user not system.

Hopefully you can repro it with that info.

0
Comment actions Permalink

We found an issue in our agent installer (TW-17953). It will be fixed in release 6.5.4.

As a temporary workaround

  1. stop the agent service
  2. delete folders
    \buildAgent\plugins\
    \buildAgent\system\
    \buildAgent\tools\
  3. start the agent service
  4. wait for several minutes until the agent downloads and installs its components. The agent service is stopped and restarted anutomatically during the process. Do not start it manually for second time.
0

Please sign in to leave a comment.