TeamCity as Windows Service

I downloaded the tomcat-TeamCity EAP bundle and installed it on a Windows 2003 server. It runs wonderfully. I had a "continuously integrated" project running in minutes.
How can I run the server as a windows service, though? The "service.bat" that comes with Tomcat doesn't work with this bundle (tomcat5.exe is missing).

9 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Joe Parks wrote:

The "service.bat" that comes with Tomcat doesn't work with this bundle (tomcat5.exe is missing).


Just use the tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe from a standard Tomcat package. I just
did the same and it works fine. One important thing I had to do though was to
let the service run under a "normal" user account instead of the SYSTEM account
because I could not find out where TeamCity would create its .BuildServer
directory where it places its configuration.

However, I noticed that since it's running as a service it no longer sends any
mails, but I'm not sure what the exact reason foe this is...

Sascha

0
Comment actions Permalink

Just to be clear: you just copied the executables from a different tomcat 5.5 installation and dropped them into the TeamCity/bin directory?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Joe Parks wrote:

Just to be clear: you just copied the executables from a different tomcat 5.5 installation and dropped them into the TeamCity/bin directory?


Yep. I actually even used the files from a Tomcat 5.0.25 installation...

Sascha

0
Comment actions Permalink

I can't seem to find the "helpful" or "correct" clickables, but the answer was both helpful and correct.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sascha Weinreuter <sascha.weinreuter@NOSPAM-cit.de> writes:

>Joe Parks wrote:
>> The "service.bat" that comes with Tomcat doesn't work with this
>> bundle (tomcat5.exe is missing).
>
>Just use the tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe from a standard Tomcat
>package. I just did the same and it works fine. One important thing I
>had to do though was to let the service run under a "normal" user
>account instead of the SYSTEM account because I could not find out
>where TeamCity would create its .BuildServer directory where it
>places its configuration.

I had the same problem. I finally found it in

c:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\

--
-- Steve

0
Comment actions Permalink

Actually, I'm going to have to take that back. Although helpful, it is not completely correct.
The service starts, and I can view the TeamCity interface, but the default agent isn't running, so the build doesn't run on the server. Are there any further steps?

0
Comment actions Permalink

The build agent doesn't run as part of the service.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Joe Parks wrote:

Actually, I'm going to have to take that back. Although helpful, it is not completely correct.
The service starts, and I can view the TeamCity interface, but the default agent isn't running, so the build doesn't run on the server. Are there any further steps?


To install buildAgent as windows service, go to TeamCity/buildAgent/bin directory and run
agentd.exe -install command. This will install agent windows service.

We'll add better support for windows service installation
(http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-584).

Hope this helps,
KIR

--
Kirill Maximov
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

That did the trick. Thanks all.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.