Dissappearing projects? Read this!

We're using TC, build 1712, and had noticed that some of our new projects that had been in use for a while would "disappear" from the Projects page. One day they were visible, the next they weren't.

I figured this one out - it's an issue caused by copying old config folders over from our previous build machine onto our new build server.

The old server had the project id up to 7 and the bt id up to 12... any new project created on the new box used the id created by the server, which overlapped some of the existing projects (there were gaps, as projects were created/destroyed, along with build configurations).

Whenever an ID overlapped with an existing one, and the server was restarted, poof! It dissappeared.

The solution was to map all the project and bt ids in the proejcts dirs and project-config.xml files (with the server down), change them so there were no overlaps, then edit the id.properties file in .BuildServer/config so that the next.project.id and next.build_type.id were greated than anything already existing.

Restart the server, and presto! All projects are now visible, and no longer dissapear.

This isn't really a bug, but it'd be nice to have some way of exporing proejcts so its easy to move the server to a new box. Once you know the trick , it's not hard to do manually, but it'd be nice to automate it.

I thought I'd post this so others wouldn't go crazy trying to figure it out.

Douglas Bullard

1 comment
Comment actions Permalink

Douglas Bullard wrote:

We're using TC, build 1712, and had noticed that some of our new projects that had been in use for a while would "disappear" from the Projects page. One day they were visible, the next they weren't.

I figured this one out - it's an issue caused by copying old config folders over from our previous build machine onto our new build server.

The old server had the project id up to 7 and the bt id up to 12... any new project created on the new box used the id created by the server, which overlapped some of the existing projects (there were gaps, as projects were created/destroyed, along with build configurations).

Whenever an ID overlapped with an existing one, and the server was restarted, poof! It dissappeared.

The solution was to map all the project and bt ids in the proejcts dirs and project-config.xml files (with the server down), change them so there were no overlaps, then edit the id.properties file in .BuildServer/config so that the next.project.id and next.build_type.id were greated than anything already existing.

Restart the server, and presto! All projects are now visible, and no longer dissapear.

This isn't really a bug, but it'd be nice to have some way of exporing proejcts so its easy to move the server to a new box. Once you know the trick , it's not hard to do manually, but it'd be nice to automate it.

I thought I'd post this so others wouldn't go crazy trying to figure it out.


Thanks for the note, Douglas. You've found right solution - max numbers for project id and build
configuration id are indeed stored in id.properties file.

Kind regards,
KIR


--
Kirill Maximov
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.