How to copy artifact to web server

Hi, I am new to TeamCity having used Cruise Control .Net for a few years, I am very impressed with TC.

I have my VS2005 sln build completing successfully, and have set the output folder of my build as an artifact. Now I would like to deploy this to the testing web server. I have a robocopy command line that would copy all of the files over to the server.

Should I make the robocopy step as a new build that depends on the vs2005 sln build? If I do this, how do I get hold of the artifact from the first build (I have tried it as an artifact dependency, but it says it fails to find it). I can see how to get them from a URL, but I would need a folder that I can get to.

Hope someone can help me,

Dave

5 comments

Hi,

I've managed to get the basic process to work.
I can now get the artifact by setting the path to files/. (where files is the name of the root artfact folder). All files are copied across OK. I can then run my robocopy script to copy these files to the correct web server.

However one of my files happens to have an & in the file name (OK, I know it seems like a character to avoid, but Windows does allow you to do it, and one of the team appear to have made a file with an & in the name).

Anyway if you have an & in the name, then the following error is produced
java.lang.RuntimeException: problem during retrieve of org : java.text.ParseException: failed to parse report: C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\.ivy\cache\org-bt3-default.xml: The reference to entity "Chairs" must end with the ';' delimiter.

(the filename is Umbrella&Chairs.jpg)

Do people think that this is a bug?

Regards,

Dave

0

Dave,

Concerning "&" in the file name - this is a bug in Ivy library that is used by TeamCity to manage artifact dependencies.

We have this filed in our tracker: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-2973

Reportedly, it is fixed in a beta Ivy release, but this version cannot be used with TeamCity yet.

We will try to integrate Ivy2-beta2 release in TeamCity as soon as it is available.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Best regards,

Yegor Yarko
Project Manager
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Hi Yegor,

Excellent, I've managed to work around this by renaming the files, but it would be good to get it fixed going forward. I assume that the space to %20 issue that I have seen elsewhere in this forum is effectively the same problem.

Regards,

Dave

0

Dave,

Spaces issue is related, but is files into Ivy tracker as a separate issue. Our issue is http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/TW-2857

--
Best regards,

Yegor Yarko
Project Manager
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

OK, good to know. I have got round this one, by running a bulk rename utility (www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk) to rename folders and files copied as part of the artifact dependency from %20 back to space.

So I have got it all working as I need now, with a few workarounds, but still usable.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.