I went through all the tutorial steps outlined in this great video here:
In that video, at about 29:00, it talks about using TeamCity to automate the Deployment process in Octopus Deploy. I followed those steps and have a MySampleProject running perfect with a "Build master" Build Configuration running successfully (pointed to a GitHub repo), and a "Deploy to Dev" Build Configuration that consists of 1 Build Step (OctopusDeploy: Create release), 1 Trigger, and 1 Dependancy, as discussed in the video.
All that works BEAUTIFULLY! (thank you for that TeamCity and Octopus Deploy)
However, I'm experiencing what I think is a UI issue, perhaps bug, with my "real project". Specifically on the Build Step page for any "OctopusDeploy: Create Release" build steps, the Project and the API fields are prepopulated for all new Build Steps. The Project: field is prepopulated with "MySampleProject" and the API field is prepopulated with what I assume is the API key I used during the tutorial. Worse, much worse in fact because it took me a LONG time to realize the problem, is that EVERY subsequent attempt to Edit any Build Step page that is of the type "OctopusDeploy: Create Release" does this weird prepopulate effect, overwriting the previous values of those two fields with the values "MySampleProject" and the now non-working API key.
Now that I know this, the workaround is to ALWAYS specify both of those fields on every edit before hitting Save, but I don't think this is intended behaviour. I don't mind entering this as a bug, but before I try going down that road, since I'm such a newbie to both products, I wanted to post my findings here.